Rain gutters ensure that rainwater doesn’t accumulate on your roof and damage your shingles. It’s a system that guides rainwater from the roof and into downspouts at the corners of your house. The downspouts will then let the water exit your home and away from the foundation. This system works fine until leaves, and other roof debris builds up and clogs your gutters. To prevent that from happening, you’ll need a gutter mesh system to help block out any potential debris from clogging your gutters. However, small trash can still enter your drains and can potentially build up and cause problems. That’s why you need to clean your gutters regularly. With that said, this article will talk about how you can clean your gutters that already have a mesh covering. Follow the easy steps below:
- Step 1: Clean the ground beneath your gutter from sticks, rocks, and other debris. Find a clean, stable place to plant your ladder. Lean your ladder against the house and start climbing up to your gutters.
- Step 2: Check the small metal clips that hold the gutter mesh covers from the front, using your hand or a flathead screwdriver. Lift the sections of the mesh cover to allow them to rest on your roof.
- Step 3: Scoop the debris from your gutter using your hand or a small spade. When using your hand, make sure you’re wearing protective rubber gloves. Drop the debris onto the ground and collect it from there. Move the ladder from the next section of gutter and repeat the process until you have cleared your gutter from any debris congestion.
- Step 4: Get the water hose and position the ladder at the tail end of your drain, opposite to the downspout. Climb back up the gutter with the hose and wash your entire gutter to clean out any remaining debris.
- Step 5: Hold the hose in place as the water pushes any remaining debris towards the downspout. Once the gutter is clean, have someone else turn it off before moving down the ladder.
- Step 6: Flip the mesh covers back over the drain. Bend the metal clips over the front of the gutter to secure the cover back again. Collect the gutter debris into a plastic garbage bag for disposal.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully cleaned your gutter system. Make sure you also check the status of your gutter mesh. If you see signs of wear and tear, consider replacing it with a new one. Visit our official site to shop for some of the latest gutter mesh systems.